Monday, May 18, 2015

‘Cause Down the Shore, Everything’s Alright…


We interrupt the regularly scheduled blog for a special announcement.

After seven years at Holyoke Community College, I’ll be returning to New Jersey.  I’ve accepted the position of Vice President for Learning at Brookdale Community College, starting in July.

It’s an exciting opportunity.  Brookdale is a much larger college, with multiple sites spread throughout Monmouth County. Its president, Maureen Murphy, sees wisdom in the “guided pathways” approach, and has made some difficult resource decisions to enable BCC to move decisively in that direction.  She’s hoping to enact many of the reforms championed by the CCRC.  As regular readers know, I’m a fan of the CCRC, and I see a lot to be gained by taking its recommendations seriously.  

New Jersey is also where much of our extended family lives.  When we arrived in New England, we knew nobody.  Going back to Jersey, we have people.  That matters.  I even know a few people currently at Brookdale, including a former boss.  And the Jersey Shore, which includes Monmouth County, holds a special place in family history.  

HCC has been terrific, and I’m proud of my work there.  I’ll miss a whole bunch of people, but I can say honestly that I’m leaving it in better shape than I found it.  It’s time for the next adventure.

Down the shore, everything’s alright...